The summer heat has hit Houston and it’s just barely even June. In an effort to stay cool, I started looking for some easy ice cream desserts that would be fun to serve this summer. One dessert that kept coming up in my search was an Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. Here is a recipe from Real Simple that is easy to prepare and will be an instant crowd pleaser. For more variety, try using Neapolitan ice cream sandwiches, butterscotch chips, or crushed oreos- the combinations are endless.
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
6 ice cream sandwiches (3.5 ounces each)
1/2 cup chocolate chips, chopped
1. Line an 8½-by-4½-inch loaf pan with a piece of wax paper or parchment, allowing the paper to hang over both long sides.
2. In a large bowl, beat the cream and sugar until stiff peaks form.
3. In the bottom of the pan, arrange 3 of the sandwiches in a single layer, cutting them to fit as necessary. Spread with half the whipped cream. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches and whipped cream.
4. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the chopped chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 1 week.
5. Holding both sides of the paper overhang, lift the cake out of the pan and transfer to a platter. Discard the paper and serve.
By Jenni Hakensen, July 2008 Real Simple Magazine