When I bought my iTouch a couple years ago, one of the first Apps I bought was the Martha Stewart Everyday Food App. Every morning it updates you with a recipe for “Dinner Tonight.” The dishes are quick, easy to execute recipe with few ingredients. Last week a recipe for sautéed shrimp with arugula, and tomatoes was featured as the “Dinner Tonight” recipe. This combination has been on my mind for a week now and last night I finally had a chance to make it. It is a simple, one-pan meal that is extremely satisfying. Use your largest saute pan so you don’t crowd all your ingredients; I used a 12″ Vollrath non-stick pan. This sauté is a great dish on its own, but would also be delicious over pasta or rice.
Here are a couple more additions I made to the recipe:
- I added about ½ cup diced red onion to the beginning of this recipe.
- I added a sprinkling of red pepper flakes to the pan with the chopped garlic.
- I wasn’t in the mood for either pasta or rice last night, so I tossed in a can of chickpeas at the very end. Sauté until the chickpeas are just warmed. I can find a way to add a legume to almost any meal.
Sautéed Shrimp with Arugula and Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 ounces wild or baby arugula (4 cups)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring often, until they blister, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add shrimp and cook, stirring often, until almost opaque throughout, about 4 minutes. Add arugula, season with salt and pepper, and toss until wilted, 1 minute. Add lemon juice and toss to combine.